As the form dried it did so unevenly ( even though I worked for another 4 hours coiling today!) which meant the form has twisted and leaned as it dries, clay has a memory so goodness knows what will happen in the firing. However, in an attempt to level the sides ( another reason why I thought it best to extrude sections) I used a sureform and 'planed' back the surface. In doing so I revealed the separate lines of clay and added material. Whether this will be apparent in the firing or not I dont know.
I also burnished the surface in some areas ( rubbing a metal spoon or stone over the clay creates a hard compacted surface akin to a glaze when fired, although I used a ladel because it was so big. It still took several hours of work today)